Frequently Asked Questions – Public Adjuster

The following questions are the most frequently asked … but your specific question not found on this page is of equal or greater importance to me.  

If you have a question that is not clearly or completely answered here, do not hesitate to send it to me by email at or by submitting your question here: .

What is a Public Adjuster?

There are three different types of insurance adjusters.

First, there is the “insurance company adjuster” who is employed by the insurance company and who is required by law to protect the rights and interests of the insurance company.

Second is the “independent adjuster” who is also contracted by the insurance company and who is required by contract and law to protect the rights and interests of the insurance company.

Third is the “licensed public adjuster” who is contracted by the policyholder to protect the interests of the policyholder and to negotiate a fair and reasonable settlement for an insured loss.

A licensed Public Insurance Adjuster is an expert on loss adjustment and the recovery process and is employed by the policyholder — not the insurance company.

The Public Adjuster assists you, the policyholder, with his intimate knowledge of insurance policies and negotiation techniques, in preparing, filing and managing the payment of insurance claims regarding property loss.

He works on your behalf and does NOT work for the insurance company.

How much time will it take to settle my claim?  If I hire a public claims adjuster, will this cause more time delay?

This is probably the most frequently asked question I receive. My answer has been that if you want a quick-fast settlement, you do not want to hire me. My experience has been that if you settle quickly without doing a thorough job, you are most likely leaving significant money on the table.

Insurance companies will attempt to settle the claim as quickly as possible … knowing that the quicker they settle a claim the less it will cost them.

Taking the time to do the right job in adjusting a loss will ensure that you have thoroughly investigated, documented, presented and negotiated a fair settlement that enables you to have all that you are entitled to based upon your loss and the coverage you have purchased.

Hiring me will not delay your claim but will ensure that your claim is paid in full.

Do I still need a Public Adjuster when I already have an Independent Adjuster working on my claim?

Many consumers get these two types of adjusters confused. The word “independent” means that an adjuster is licensed to represent more than one insurance company. But he does represent those companies and not the policyholder.

The independent adjuster’s income/commissions are paid by the insurance carrier that he represents and that is whose financial interest is his only priority. 

On the other hand, a Public Adjuster (such as me), is licensed to represent an individual or business who has purchased a policy from an insurance company.  It is your … and only your … financial interests that are represented by a Public Adjuster — hired by you to assist ONLY you in reaching a fair settlement with the insurance company for your loss or damage.

How much should I expect to pay a public adjuster for his work?

When you hire me to prepare and negotiate your claim, there is no upfront cost to utilize my services.

You pay nothing until you receive payment of your claim from the insurance company.  My fee is generally 10 to 15 percent of the insurance claim recovery.  The amount of this fee varies by the size of your loss and the complexity of your claim, as each claim is uniquely different.

Must I have a large insurance claim in order to get assistance from a public adjuster?

To the untrained eye, large claims can appear to be small.  The roofing contractor who tells you about the hail damage to your roofing materials is not trained to identify the additional hail damage to your window frames, siding, doors, and other exterior areas and contents.  While the small fire in the kitchen may have been contained to the top of the stove, smoke from that fire may have damaged the walls, carpet, draperies, clothing, furniture and other contents.  Water damage from broken plumbing might be invisible to the naked eye while clearly seen with infrared devices.  

While small claims can and should be handled by policyholders, they will often be underpaid because they overlooked the entire scope of the loss.  Call and speak to a public adjuster for advice as to when he can or cannot assist you to be fully indemnified.  The call is free.

Are all insurance companies “evil” with the intent to cheat their policyholders out of money?

No.  Most insurance companies operate in good faith and attempt to hire adjusters who do, also.  When an insured client who has been regularly paying money to the insurance company wants to collect money from the insurance company … the insurer’s response to his client’s claim can sometimes become adversarial.  The burden of proof falls upon the party filing the claim to demonstrate his or her entitlement to be paid and this is often an unexpected and misunderstood process.  Some adjusters have been known to work harder to protect the interest of the company that pays them rather than the company’s client … the policyholder.  Mistakes are made and, usually, they are made in favor of the insurance company … and most policyholders miss them.

 Some public adjusters contact insured homeowners at the time they incur damage with offers of representation. Will you be contacting me after my loss to see if you can help me?

No.  I only represent Missouri home and business owners who are referred to me by others I have worked with or who contact me on their own. I do not solicit claims directly from policyholders.  Deciding on whether or not you should file a claim with your insurance company is a decision that only you should make and since not all claims will require the assistance of a public adjuster, that call should be yours, as well. 

I decided to process and settle my claim on my own and I am not sure that I have received a fair settlement.  What should I do?

You can always have your claim reviewed and re-evaluated.  There is no charge for this process when you contact me to provide this service to you.

It is not unusual for policyholders to ask for a review as there can be many complex issues involved in a property loss adjustment process.

Give me a call and I will be glad to review your claim and give you my best and honest opinion.

I have already accepted payment on my claim but I feel that I am entitled to more than what the insurance company paid me.  Can a Public Adjuster help me in such a case?

Possibly.  Even in the event of certain “releases”, there are claims that can be reopened and additional payments can be obtained when the homeowner is entitled to them.  It will cost you nothing to contact me and allow me to review your claim to see if there are additional steps available for you to take.

Can the contractor who is doing the work on my home negotiate my claim with the insurance company?

Not in Missouri. 
If your contractor is a licensed public adjuster, he is prohibited from contracting to provide repair or remodeling services to the damages associated with the claim. 

If he is not a licensed public adjuster, he may be prohibited by law from negotiating your claim on your behalf with the insurance company, depending upon the nature of the work.  Roofing and other contractors working on building exteriors are prohibited from representing their customers to their insurance companies.  

No matter how you look at it, your contractor should not be negotiating your claim on your behalf.  Any “negotiating” that he may be doing is strictly limited to his work which, frankly, is something that he should be negotiating with YOU … not your insurance company, in my opinion.

Another consideration is that a contractor who is negotiating his fee with your insurance company is likely to limit his negotiations to only those things that will result in his compensation … while you may very well be entitled to much more under your policy.

Can I meet with a public adjuster BEFORE I have a major problem so that I may better understand what my insurance policy does and does not cover?

Absolutely … and you should.  Once you understand how your policy actually works, you may find the need to meet with your insurance agent to arrange to fill in some gaps or improve your coverage to better address your expectations.  You will also learn what important steps you need to take in order to protect your rights under your policy when disaster strikes.

One response

  1. Thanks for pointing out that a licensed public adjuster will work on your behalf, not the insurance company’s, to ensure you receive fair settlement for your insured loss. My home was recently damaged in a windstorm, and I’m nervous that the insurance company will offer a settlement that’s much too low and won’t cover the damages. I’ll definitely look into hiring a public adjuster so I can have peace of mind about the settlement.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s